background

Friday, April 15, 2011

Where Do I Start? The Basics!

I've always been "creative", but I haven't really tapped into my creative side since I was a kid. I may have painted walls at home, but that was about it. Since I've had a job, my mantra has been "if I have money, I can buy it. Why make it"? Since little man came along, I've changed all of that.

I bookmarked craft blogs. I drooled over Martha Stewart's ideas. I raided the supplies that had been left by my mother who I always put to work when she comes to visit. But I didn't really know where to start, and I was TOTALLY intimidated by all the craft blogs I found. I wanted to do all the things I saw them doing, but I 1) had no clue what they were talking about; or 2) didn't have the budget they seemed to have.

I decided to start this post because I've had a few people ask about my new found "craftiness" and ask not only how to organize, but what they need to get started. I couldn't seem to find this on other sites, so I thought I would start my own.

I always loved getting those "checklists" in girl scouts that laid out plainly what you were going to need, and what was a nice added perk. This first "where do i start" series post will be my own version of a crafting mama's checklist. I am going to list a few tips on not only what you might need, but where you can find it for a good price- what to splurge on, and tools for any budget. Once you've compiled your craft stash, check out my Pegboard Organizer for an awesome way to store it all.



Here is my quick list for the new crafter:


  • -Glue ($)
    • Glue Sticks, pens and dots
      • I buy a variety of these- one for different projects. I currently love the Elmer's glue dots roller- it works like a whiteout pen but with a very strong adhesive for paper. It is easy and precise, but it can get tricky to use on small or curvy shapes. A glue glue stick will work best for those. Glue pens are perfect for projects you might need to move around slightly after placement as the glue is flexible until it dries, and can be easily wiped up.  These are all so inexpensive you can afford to slowly build up a stash of them all.
      • Be sure to look for acid free, especially if you are working with designer paper and any kind of photos.
    • ModPodge
      • If you decoupage at all (gluing cut out paper pieces and then sealing) Mod-Podge is the way to go. It is a strong, versatile adhesive and runs under $7.
    • Hot glue gun
      • This is a place you can scrimp. I bought a hot glue gun at WalMart a few years ago for under $5- and it works wonderfully. If you aren't using a hot glue gun nonstop, a gun that takes mini sticks will be fine for you and your budget. If you frequently use one, you might want to invest in a larger size.
  • Sewing Machine and Accessories ($-$$$)
    • If you are going to sew at all (you really should, I was totally intimidated by sewing, but have come to really love it- it is really much easier than you think to do a wide variety of crafts) you will need a machine. Do not buy one of the cheap-o toy machines- you can get a decent machine for around $100. You won't be embroidering or making quilts with this size machine, but you'll have all you need to make pillows, bags, purses, even clothing (ok I am still intimidated by that!!!). If you can afford a quilt machine, they run about $1,000; and a good embroidery machine with a USB plug in runs around $600-$700. I am saving up for one of those!
    • Thread and Bobbins
      • Thread can be expensive! It used to be $1, but now it starts at $5 and can go up to $15. Sign up for coupons at your favorite craft store (JoAnn Fabrics has an awesome IPhone app that lets you pre-load coupons- they always have a 40% off every week, and often include many more). Then you can buy a bunch for almost half price.
      • Buy lots of bobbins. You can get a four pack at WalMart for $1. I like to pre-load them with threads I use often so you can just pop it on and go.
    • Rotary Cutter and Mat ($)
      • If you work with thick fabrics at all, or make rag quilts, a rotary cutter will save your hands and your time. It looks like a pizza slicer, and works just like one. Line your fabric up on your rotary mat, which has rulers painted on each side, and you can make precise cuts without damaging the surface you are cutting on.
    • Fabric ($-$$$)
      • I buy a lot of fabric from all kinds of places. If you are looking to experiment, don't just assume WalMart's fabric is the cheapest. Check out your local craft store, especially when they are having a sale or you have a great coupon. You will spend a lot less. I also LOVE Etsy for fabric shopping. You will find a ton of beautiful fabrics at great prices.
      • Fabric is sold by the yard or a yard measurement. At most places you will find fabric measurements labelled "yard" "1/2 yard" or "fat quarter" instead of "1/4 yard". Huh?!A fat quarter is a one-fourth yard cut of fabric that (usually) measures 18" x 22" instead of the typical 9" x 44" quarter-yard cut. The longest side's dimension will vary if your fabric is not 44" wide. These are usually used in quilting.
  • Scissors
      • Fabric Shears ($$)
        • You'll want a bigger scissor to cut fabric, and one that is comfortable and a bit heavier.
      • Paper Crafting Scissors ($$)
        • You will want scissors that are very light and slender. These should be able to fit into small nooks and crannies of your paper products.
      • All Purpose Shears ($)
        • You can use good all purpose shears for either task above if you don't have the budget for all three, or you have some sharp scissors you really like and don't want multiple sets.
      • Craft Scissors ($$)
        • You can get all kinds of shaped scissors for paper crafting- scallops, chevron, patterns... the sky is the limit. Watch for sales on these- they frequently go on sale and can be over $10 regular price.
  • Paint and Accessories ($)
    • Paint
      • I buy acrylic, non-toxic paint. It works on everything I paint, and I am not afraid of it harming my son with noxious fumes or horrible chemicals, should he get a hold of anything and put it in his mouth. I particularly like Delta Ceramcoat, which you can find on sale frequently for $1 in craft stores. Otherwise, it is around $2.50.
    • Brushes
      • You don't need to spend a lot on brushes if you only paint small items. You can buy a big bag of sponge brushes for under $5 at a craft store. If you are doing ANY stencil work, get the brushes that look like a mushroom shape on top of a stick. They come in a two pack for $.99 at JoAnn's.
      • If you are painting anything bigger, I recommend a big brush from the paint section of your local hardware store. Craft stores can charge a lot more for bigger brushes.
    • Canvases, Wood, etc...
      • Canvas can get pricey. I like to use Canvas Panels when crafting- they lie flat, absorb less paint, come in packs of three, fit into frames, and are much less expensive than a wrapped canvas which are used for finer art projects (I will also pick up a bunch when they are on sale- they do make great kids room decor and are easy to hang).
  • Paper
    • Cardstock
      • Plain, designer, "cardstock stacks" (big bundles of a set of paper that coordinate)... you will want to use paper in tons of ways so go ahead and build up a stash! I like to wait for the big stacks to go on sale (they seem to be for the last 6 months at JoAnns) and buy the 12x12 stacks for $9. Etsy is another fabulous resource for wonderful papers!
    • Photo Printing Paper
      • You can buy amazing graphic designs on Etsy for $1-$3 per download, which is a total steal. You could also make your own in photoshop!
    • Iron On Transfer Paper  
      • If you haven't used transfer paper, what are you waiting for? It is so much fun to make personalized tee shirts, designs for bags, pillows... you can customize anything, and you just need a printer and an iron!
        • I only buy Avery Iron On Transfers, which are the least expensive and work wonderfully at office supply stores. You will find them in the specialty papers section, where they keep the print-at-home business card paper.
  • Staple Gun
    • I find myself using this a lot, especially when it comes time to decorate for holidays or other household projects. I got a mini sized one from WalMart for under $10. It takes standard size staples.
  • Embellishments (totally optional, but depending on your style, might be a necessity!)
    • Stickers
    • Buttons
    • Ribbon
    • Adhesive Tape
    • Brads
    • Crystals
    • Hole punchers (I love ones of all different shapes!)
I hope you aren't overwhelmed by this list. Not every one is a necessity, but I know if I sat down with this I would have had a lot less trips to the store when I tried to duplicate projects I saw.


***I did not mention my trusty Cricut here, I have a post outlining that coming up as I don't want to completely overwhelm people new to crafting. I get a lot of questions about it, and honestly, I think it (and other die-cutting options) deserves its own post.

****I also did not mention my cameras, camera equipment, or photo editing software. Another post, my friends!

1 comment:

  1. yes, yes & yes... me too! i have just started compiling my totes/boxes/bins and little cute holders with crafty supplies, LOTS of fun little do-dads, paper, stamps, colorful fabrics and so on and so on! i love this site and look forward to watching you grow!!

    ReplyDelete