Our family could not be happier that baseball season is finally here. To celebrate, I wanted to add some more baseball decorations to Little Man's room. He already has a ton of baseball stuff, but I've been looking to do some fun designs over his crib. I thought this banner would be a lot of fun in his room, and I'm including a downloadable file you can use to make your own banner!
Check it out after the jump!
If you don't have a cricut or other die cut machine, please check out the bottom of this post for ideas on how you can make this banner easily by hand.
If you do have a cricut, but you don't have custom cutting software, please check out Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL). With Sure Cuts a Lot, you can literally plug your cricut in your computer, download a design (like the baseball used here) press cut, and go! You don't have to keep buying tons of cartridges- and best of all, you can design your own content and find lots of FREE SVG files. I use it almost exclusively to cut letters. You can move them around with total ease and see on screen how it will cut on your mat. No guessing if you got the size right!
I first made penant shapes with SCAL, and then found a font i liked to write "play ball". I then cut all the different color banners (in retrospect, the yellow i used is too light- the white doesn't show up as well as I'd like). Next, I cut the letters and baseball in white. I arranged the letters on the pennants making sure the baseball cutout was on a red background. that way i didn't have to make a red background circle or separate cut for the stitching detail (but you could do this easily if you don't want the image on red).
I then glued on all the letters and details, and punched two small holes in each corner of the pennant. I have a ton of soft cording leftover from some baby safety netting we put up around our bannister, and I used that to string the banner- but you could use your favorite team's ribbon colors, jute, or any type of string. I tied big knots over each hole punch so the banner would stay in place, and also to make it look like little baseballs.
Finally, I hung it up over little man's crib. I hung it very high up on the wall so there is no risk he can pull it down or risk strangulation. If you cannot hang this very high, DO NOT place over a crib where a child can have access to it. I have a hard time reaching it where I mounted it, and I am 5'9".
I am going to make some cute canvas panels of a mitt, a bat, and the "All Star" phrase soon to hang under the banner.
If you don't have a die cutting machine, never fear! You can still easily make this banner.
First, cut triangle shapes out of the cardstock you'd like to use. To make great letters, I trace wooden letters (you can buy these at craft stores- they are very inexpensive and great to have on hand) onto cardstock and cut them out. For tricky spots, use an xacto knife, and you will have a smooth finish!
For the baseball image, you have a few options- first, some craft stores sell pre cut shapes. I've seen plenty of baseball die cuts at Joann's and Hobby Lobby. Look in the scrapbook section. You can also adhere a big baseball sticker or foam cutout, or simply trace a circle by using the bottom of a mug or a jar lid, cut it out, and then color on red stitching. This is an easy banner with or without the die cutting machine!
How cute would this be for a child's party, or to bring to your kids games? If you would like the SCAL file I created for the pennant and "play ball" please email me at: sweetcsdesigns at gmail dot com. My file sharing isnt working properly at the moment, but I am happy to share all of my work!



No comments:
Post a Comment