background

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Naptime Project- Upcycled Button-up Shirt Napkin Rings or Candle Cozy


Today's naptime project is a continuation of yesterday's upcycled button-up shirt laundry bag. For this project, we will use the cuffs of the shirt.

First, cut off the cuffs from the sleeve.


Then, use a strip of burlap that is just longer and about 1" wider than the cuff when it is unbuttoned (I used longer burlap and then cut it down, but this isn't necessary).
Next, sew the cuff to the burlap. I tried to stick to stitches already on the cuff. Follow all around the cuff, but DO NOT STITCH END WITH BUTTON HOLES (I learned this one the hard way).

When you are done sewing, trim burlap so it is just at the end of the cuff on the sides where button and button holes are. The side with the buttons can have excess burlap, but the side with button holes needs to have as little burlap overhang as possible, as you will be buttoning the cuff, and excess burlap gets in the way.

Button the cuff.

I pulled out some of the burlap on the sides for more of a fringed look. This is a perfect napkin ring holder, cozy for a tall glass, or decoration around a candle (be sure to keep a good distance from flame as burlap is very flammable).  

3 comments:

  1. What a great idea! How do you come up with these ideas?! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool! I love burlap. I have a post from about a week ago where I made a lace trimmed burlap runner!

    I am starting my own linky party ToDaY!
    It's the first one. I would love it if you would participate! It's called $10 Tuesdays and it's for things that cost less than $10 and take 20-30 mins (ish) to complete. I love inexpensive and quick projects and I'm guessing others will too ;) Thanks so much for considering.
    Tina
    http://sweetfloweret.blogspot.com/
    PS: Freebie gift to first 50 NEW blog followers and FB likers. Come check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love burlap too!!! I made a napkin ring with burlap and a toilet paper roll. Yours is way cuter.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete