background

Monday, February 28, 2011

Make your gift stand out: Upcycled Gift Boxes


In my quest to give handmade gitfs, I feel like I am going against the whole spirit when I go buy a bag to put the gift in. Gift bags get tossed out, and like so many gifts we give, are totally impersonal. So today, I'm going to share with you one of my newest obsessions (and the easiest craft, ever)- the upcycled gift box.

You'll need:

Boxes of various sizes (I am using boxes that contained christmas ornaments here)
Paint
Hot Glue or other HEAVY DUTY adhesive
felt flowers- you can buy them pre-made at JoAnn's, or see an upcoming tutorial on making them.

First, remove any sales tags or stickers from the box. If any glue or tag is leftover, lightly sand the box so it has a smooth texture.

Next, paint your box. Some boxes will require multiple coats to cover over lettering or other paint. You can paint the inside if you like, but I just stuff the box full of colorful tissue paper.

Once the box is dry, hot glue on your felt decorations. You could also glue on a big ribbon, cricut creations, crystals, or any kind of fun decor.

You could also stencil the recipient's name on the box, or add a small wooden letter (found at JoAnns for under $1) painted in a contrasting color and glue that to the box as well like the blue box pictured above. I am filling the boxes pictured with paper dolls I cut using Cricut's Paper Doll Dress Up cartridge for a fun, portable toy a little girl can carry around.

Under 10 minutes (minus drying time) and you have a totally adorable personal way to give a gift! (Plus you dont have to toss all those adorable boxes).

No comments:

Post a Comment